Tuesday 5 June 2012

Milan - Villa Necchi Campiglio


I am just getting ready to leave for the airport to catch my flight to Milan. (Passport, check. Over-sized sunglasses check. Vertiginous heel, check. It is Milano after all…). I’m going to spend a few days in the industrial capital of Italy to visit family and have a few days to relax, shop and eat. In typical Italian form, my grandfather planned the menu for today’s meals weeks ago. He is probably prepping everything in his kitchen as I write this. Bring on the antipasti!










One thing that I’m really looking forward to (other than pizza, pasta and pasticcini, of course) is visiting Villa Necchi Campiglio. This is the house that features in the film ‘I Am Love’ (Io Sono L’Amore) with Tilda Swinton.










Immortalised by Luca Guadagnino’s film, the historical Villa Necchi Campiglio is hidden away in a discreet neighbourhood – coincidentally just around the corner from where my mother went to school.










It’s beautiful house built from 1932-1935 by architect Piero Portaluppi, and is the star of the film. The villa is largely in tact, with rich walnut parquet, high ceilings, Art Deco details and stylised gardens.










If you haven’t watched ‘I Am Love’ yet, I’d highly recommend it! The film tells the story of the wealthy Recchi family whose lives are undergoing huge changes. The story documents the changes in each family member’s lives and finally ends with a crescendo after Swinton’s love affair with her son’s friend is discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment