Sunday 22 July 2012

Penhaligon's Scent Profiling





Penhaligon’s scent profiling is often referenced
as one of the best free things to do in London. After attending myself, I can say
that this statement is entirely correct and would emphatically recommend to
all.
 







Penhaligon’s Islington store is an
enchanting Aladdin’s cave full of dark wood fixtures, beautiful fragrance
bottles (little changed from William Penhaligon’s original designs) and helpful
staff to help you guide you through the myriad of different aromas.






The profiling started with Penhaligon’s
signature scents and what struck me was the breadth of the range, distinction
and associated history of each of the products. For example, the first perfume ‘Hammam
Boutquet’, created in 1872, was inspired by the aromatic Turkish baths once situated
next door to the shop on Jermyn Street.
 






My favourite of the
signature smells were those with distinct floral and masculine undertones (and
I was reliably informed that women purchasing masculine aromas, for their own
use, is extremely common).








In all, I tried eight
scents - each profiled to fit with my taste and lifestyle. While this was
fanstastic,
unfortunately I fell in love with all
eight…and ended up walking out of Penhaligon’s with not one perfume…but three
(Malabah, LP and Douro). 

2 comments:

  1. Those bottles are gorgeous. I can't imagine how amazing they smell. I'd have trouble deciding too!

    http://www.thelovelorn.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have the chance, you have to go one day. Both the scent profiling and the scents themselves are incredible!

    ReplyDelete