Sunday 29 January 2012

Mama Lan at Brixton Village

Last night I visited Brixton Village for the first time. I left wondering what had taken me so long to explore it? And when I could get there again?


Brixton Village, a collection of small, inexpensive and informal eateries, is a complete gastronomic anomaly - in the sense that it was far better than the great reviews I had read. It is quite unique, the type of gem that you find when backpacking around less developed countries, with such an infectious atmosphere about it.

As we arrived the place was heaving, with each cafe completely packed and full of satisfied diners enjoying their BYO wine and Red Stripe. We managed to find a seat at Mama Lan’s - one of the newest arrivals - to sample some of the delicious Beijing street food.

Mama Lan grew out of a British-Chinese girl’s supper club and blog. The menu, developed with the help of her mother, was simple yet delicious; my boyfriend and I shared a beef noodle soup, beef dumplings, spicy pork dumplings and a seaweed salad. We are already planning our next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment